Friday, February 27, 2015

The biggest contribution of AAP and Arwind Kejriwal

There are several criticisms of Arwind Kejriwal and many are very well justified. Amidst of all these criticism, allegation and question, there are a few things that Kejriwal should be appreciated by everyone who believes in democracy. 

I have been following Indian politics for quite some time and it made me afraid of our political system. It made me commit that I would never join politics. This is not a big thing for many people. But it is for me because I decided that I would work for the issues that I believe in. I would work to make to make a better future for people, all people including those who do not even believe themselves that they have a future. Here politics can play the biggest role. The political institutions have enormous impact on solving some of the problems that society face. My decision to not enter politics was akin to discarding the most potent weapon in our armory in fight against an almost invincible enemy. 

I explored myself that why I am scared of politics. There were several reasons but most prominent one were those which are (or were) almost inherent in Indian political setup.
1. Winning election required huge investment and resorting all kind of unethical and unfair practices.
2. Almost all the political party preferred candidates big surnames, political family connections or ability to donate obscene amount of unaccounted donation to political parties.

Both the reasons were big deterrents for me. I do not want to win election by unfair means and compromising my conscience. Furthermore, I do not any thing such as political family, riches or muscle-power that make me attractive to political parties.

Sometime back when Kejriwal participated in  the Delhi Assembly election for the first time  many people who would have never dreamt about winning an election won. And, many of these people are like me. 

AAP and Kejriwal’s victory made politics a choice for ensuring better future for people. To me, this is the most important contribution of Kejriwal. He may goof up and squander the trust given by the people but he has shown that there is a way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment